What We Know:
- FAA Privatization introduced as legislation in 2016 (co-sponsored by Congressman LoBiondo) – legislation was pulled and replaced with a short-term funding bill .
- Congress is expected to introduce legislation based upon privatization by 4/1/17.
- This is not similar to Flight Service Privatization; this is not similar to the Post Office; this is something that has never been done before.
Possible Impacts to You:
- Expect negative impacts to retirement, benefits and terms of employment.
- AFGE cannot represent private-sector employees – the impact of this is unclear.
- Private corporation’s policies and procedures have not been developed, so impacts may be extensive, in the current environment one could expect limitations to bargaining, representation and benefits.
- It is unclear what happens if your position is not transitioned to the corporation.
What Are We Doing:
- AFGE Local 200 has been meeting with national representatives and we have formed a Legislative Action Committee to continue efforts to prevent this legislation.
- Significant research efforts being led on:
- Legislation and employment/labor laws
- Impact to employees
- Impact to WJHTC
- Impact to the FAA and the FAA’s mission
What Can You Do To Help:
- Consider becoming a dues-paying member (no more than $15.50 per pay period). Dues-paying members show our union’s strength. Reach out to an officer!
- Consider becoming a Union Steward and assisting with our research and outreach efforts on official time. At a minimum, be vocal in your opposition!