Please continue to contact your representatives, efforts are still underway to push privatization.
What privatization did to me… a personal story by Ron Consalvo, President, AFGE Local 200.
AFGE National Issued the attached press release regarding their opposition to attempts at privatizing the FAA. FAA Privatization
Attached are some additional talking points that we have come up with to discuss when you contact your representatives. 2017FAAtalkingpoints
What We Know:
- FAA Privatization introduced as legislation in 2016 (co-sponsored by Congressman LoBiondo) – legislation was pulled and replaced with a short-term funding bill .
- Congress is expected to introduce legislation based upon privatization by 4/1/17.
- This is not similar to Flight Service Privatization; this is not similar to the Post Office; this is something that has never been done before.
Possible Impacts to You:
- Expect negative impacts to retirement, benefits and terms of employment.
- AFGE cannot represent private-sector employees – the impact of this is unclear.
- Private corporation’s policies and procedures have not been developed, so impacts may be extensive, in the current environment one could expect limitations to bargaining, representation and benefits.
- It is unclear what happens if your position is not transitioned to the corporation.
What Are We Doing:
- AFGE Local 200 has been meeting with national representatives and we have formed a Legislative Action Committee to continue efforts to prevent this legislation.
- Significant research efforts being led on:
- Legislation and employment/labor laws
- Impact to employees
- Impact to WJHTC
- Impact to the FAA and the FAA’s mission
What Can You Do To Help:
- Consider becoming a dues-paying member (no more than $15.50 per pay period). Dues-paying members show our union’s strength. Reach out to an officer!
- Consider becoming a Union Steward and assisting with our research and outreach efforts on official time. At a minimum, be vocal in your opposition!
In the next few weeks or months we could see some of these initiatives become alive again. It is important to be aware of the details in order to give the good fight! We need your involvement. Call your senators and representatives. As always, never download this items using your goverment issued computer.
Check our Library. We have studies on privatization.
We’ve started Tweeting. Please follow us on Twitter (@AFGELocal200) and Like us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/afgelocal200).
Contract-specific training will be coming soon. In the interim, we have prepared a quick brief which highlights the changes.
Brothers and Sisters!!!
We have a signed contract!!!
The conversion should happen in a few weeks. Feel free to email any of the stewards with any questions. Also, the pay band maximums just went up so our many step 10’s shouldn’t be maxed out.