Right now, Congress is working on the most extreme union-busting, pension-stealing bills we’ve seen yet.
These attacks focus on official time, one of our core union rights that AFGE uses to help employees get fair representation in workplace disputes. Anti-government employee lawmakers are trying to rush through bills that limit our union rights and silence our voice in the workplace.
Here’s what you need to know about H.R. 1364, the Government-wide Anti-Union Representation Bill:
- It eliminates the use of official time by making it far too difficult for managers and federal employees to successfully work together to address mission-related challenges
- It revokes our union’s ability to stand up for workers who have been wrongfully fired, disciplined, harassed or intimidated
- It steals the pension of any worker who exceeds a limited amount of time spent representing employees who have been disciplined, harassed, or intimidated
Disgusting, right? Wait until you hear about H.R. 1259, the VA Anti-Union Representation Bill:
- This bill specifically targets Title 5 and Title 38 rights at the VA, and takes away all grievance rights for workers facing a removal, demotion or suspension
- It gives agency officials the power to take back compensation you’ve already earned
- The bill gives management the upper-hand by radically shortening the time unfairly fired VA workers can prepare their case
- It limits the time unfairly fired workers can appeal to the MSPB to just 7 days
Here’s what we need you to do right now: Call the union rights hotline 1-855-976-5397 to connect with your lawmaker.
When the Representative’s office answers, tell them this:
“Hello, my name is _____, and I’m a member of the American Federation of Government Employees from [City, State] . Please tell the Representative to vote NO on H.R. 1364, and to vote NO on H.R. 1259. These bills do nothing to improve government. They simply attack my rights at work and my ability to provide for my family. Thank you.”
We must all work together to stop union busting dead in its tracks. Thank you for all that you do.
P.S. Legislation like this moves fast – are you signed up for our text messages so you can be ready? Text “AFGE” to 225568 from your personal phone (never your government phone) and answer the three questions to subscribe!